Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dragons!

We opened the evening in the Obsidium Sanctum under Wyrmrest Temple. Everybody had been saying the boss there, Sartharion, wasn't too tough with 10 and leaving none of the drakes up. I wouldn't say it was easy. It was chaotic and I felt like I was working hard to try to corral the adds, but we did win without wiping, so I guess by that standard it wasn't hard.

Thinking about how to beat the boss in the harder mode where you leave one of his (her?) 3 drake buddies up is trickier. There's an awful lot to tank, adjust and react to -- portals with a mob to jump in and fight, lava spawns, waves of fire to find the gap and hide from. That might take some creativity.

It's also tempting to practice the main fight since I think I could do better on add control. Maybe if the healers were positioned more in a group so I knew where the adds would be going. Are those random occasional meteors just effects or do they do damage?

From a dragon, we went to 4 horses. That is a complicated fight and it took awhile to (a) figure out the roles and (b) me to stop sucking at taunting. It felt easy on the win, though, so I suspect it won't be so hard next time.

I think that encounter has the longest runback from the GY, too. Between working a bit slowly across the two different instances, the extra wipe by my macro mis-writing and that runback, we didn't have much more time than a quick get-to-know-you wipe to end our evening with yet another dragon, the Frost Wyrm Sapphiron.

The frost dragon fight might benefit from a little Frost Resist gear. It may not be strictly necessary, but we'll have a few days to get a piece or two ready for next weekend. Assuming no hitches, we ought to be back to the final section of Naxx next Sun/Mon.

An optimistic schedule might be:
Tues - Sartharian, Spider & Military Wings
Wed - Construct & Plague Wings
Sun/Mon - Frost Wyrm Wing

We can probably fall a bit behind that schedule, e.g., spend a little time trying Sarth with 1 drake up, and just do Spider Wing tonight, and still have a shot at clearing. The main thing I'm even mildly wondering about is if we'll hit a roadbump by not having a Shaman to boost the caster dps, e.g., on Loatheb.

No comments: